Saturday, September 8, 2012

Random Thoughts On Joining The Rec Center

Great Neck Recreation Center in Virginia BeachI’m out of shape. Doesn’t that usually come with the territory of being a geek? I’m also a bit of a foodie and just generally like to eat. A lot. Now mind you, I’m not a cow, I’m just a bit overweight. Feel free to peruse my Instagram feed to the right, and you’ll see what I look like if you don’t already know me. I also have a slew of health issues that I probably shouldn’t have at my age like high blood pressure, migraines, back problems, sleep apnea, seasonal asthma and insomnia. Most of these things would probably magically go away if I lost about 50 pounds. My doctor swears up and down that they wouldn’t, but I’m inclined to believe otherwise, and would it really kill me if I goDeath Trap - Ellipticalt in shape? I doubt it. Well, unless I just up and had a heart/asthma attack on the elliptical, but I digress. Now, I don’t want to be some sort of champion weight lifter, or look like a supermodel, although in my head I already do (look like a supermodel, that is). Darrell is very unhappy with the way he looks, although I think he’s beautiful the way he is, so it’s due to his suggestion that we’ve joined the Virginia Beach Recreation Center. What is the Rec Center, you ask? It’s a locals only gym that is partially subsidized by the city, so it’s much cheaper than going to a private gym. All-in-all, it’s $80-odd per year, and they have all of the standard gym equipment of your Bally’s, Gold’s, or what-have-you, plus they have a pool. They also offer classes for $4 each and they have personal trainers you can purchase for an additional cost. I think this is a good low-cost way for us toGoodness in a biscuit get into shape. We do eat sensibly (for the most part). We don’t eat a lot of fast food. The thought of most of it just turns my stomach, but we do eat out – a lot. And I have a huge soft spot for Chinese takeaway. I like to do that once a week. But other than that, it’s Kashi lunches, and Greek yogurt and Belvita breakfast biscuit for breakfast, and usually – usually we cook at home for dinner. We have to get better at that! Next step is to find a great way to curb that sweet tooth of mine, I’m thinking home made Captain Crunch frozen Greek yogurt, who’s with me?!

1 comment:

  1. [...] we’re getting healthier. We joined the rec last week, and we’re trying to take this as seriously as we can. On Sunday we went to Busch [...]

    ReplyDelete