Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Random Thoughts on The Sookie Stackhouse Novels

I've been a fan of HBO's True Blood since it debuted in September 2008. I enjoyed the first season immensely and when it was over, I waited anxiously for the second season. It came and I was equally impressed with the new iteration. It was during the second season that I learned that the whole television series was based off of a series of books. I thought it was interesting and let it be. A few months ago I got an Amazon Kindle for Darrell and since he was in school, I started using it to read during downtime at work. I chose to read the first book in the Sookie Stackhouse Novels, or The Southern Vampire Mysteries by Charlaine Harris, which was the basis for the first season of True Blood.

I was immediately enthralled and even addicted. Several people have asked me if the books are better than the TV series, or vice-versa, and I have to say that they are different. The show is very close to the book in most aspects, however, the books are all written from Sookie's point of view. While she is a telepath, she is not omniscient. What I mean by this is that the show goes into details of the lives of some of the other characters that the book does not go into. The characters are all the same people (for the most part), but you don't know what Sookie doesn't know. There are also some differences in how some of the stories are played out. Are they better or worse, no, they are merely different.

I believe that the show has helped me to envision the characters a little more roundly, if you will. What I mean by this is that I know exactly what Sookie looks like and what her accent sounds like, her mannerisms, and so forth.This is also true for Bill, Arlene, Jason, Lafayette, and most of the other characters. There are a few glaring differences, like the relationship Sookie and Tara have in the show is not the same as it is in the book, also Tara is white in the book. Another major difference is the way Sookie describes Sam over and over in the book, he is different in the show, but I just kind of overlook these differences and take them as kind of a "side story." It can be distracting, but overall, I think that the books benefit the show and the show benefit the books.

In total, there are (or will be) twelve Sookie Stackhouse books, and I'm currently reading the sixth one. These books are so well written that I feel like I know Sookie Stackhouse, and I feel like I've been to Bon Temps, Louisiana (which I just found out last week is a fictional place), and had drinks at Merlotte's with Jason and Hoyt, and even been to the "Fang Banger" bar in Shreveport, Fangtasia and gawked at Eric in all his splendor while Pam looked down on me for being a human.

I often say (jokingly) to Darrell, "you won't believe what trouble Sookie's been in lately!" I say this, because, that poor girl is ALWAYS getting into trouble. Now I'm leaving out details on purpose. I want you to go read the books, and watch the show. Don't be disappointed when the plots are slightly different, the stories are all excellent, and the character development is superb. I also have to warn you that there are some steamy scenes in there, too, so if you're faint of heart, or kind of weird about that, you might want to steer clear.

I also have this to say: HBO is filming the third season of True Blood, and it is supposedly falling inline with the books as far as some of the characters are concerned, so if they keep on the direction I hope they are, we're in for one hell of a ride with Sookie and the gang from Bon Temps!

7 comments:

  1. Maranda Vampire MarsJanuary 12, 2010 at 6:07 PM

    Before I read any of the Sookie Stackhouse books, I read the Twlight Saga and I just loved it! After it was over I started to fill like I was gonna go into withdrawls or something. LOL So, I went to my local library and started talking to one of the ladies that worked there and she informed me that they had quiet a selection of Vamp books.
    "Woo hoo!" I hadn't even heard of Sookie, Bill, or Eric... (At that time there was no HBO Series which is awesome too!) Anyway, Needless to say I fell in love with the books and I know I must have drove those poor librians "Batty" LOL Asking "when will the next one be in and can you put it on hold for me." My fav. was #8 From Dead to Worse It's fabulous. And I totally agree with you Stephen You feel as if you've built a relationship with them they're all so great! I don't have anything negative to say about any of the installments they were all great! The only thing I can say is waiting for the new books "sucks" LOL (I'm impatient LOL) I just love Charlaine Harris and can't wait to see what she has in store for us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Stephen, I have not read the books but I am loving "True Blood". I didn't start watching until season 2, but my hubby bought season 1 for me for christmas. I watched the entire season on New Year's day. Now I am going to have to read the books.. Smithfield library here I come... Oh.. and I like your new format...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a tendency to wait for the movie to come out

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chris,
    It's a good thing, then that Season 3 of the show is filming now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maranda,
    Thank you SO much for your enthusiastic response! I’m glad I’m not the only one who likes the Sookie Stackhouse books so much! I’m tearing through them! I’ve only started reading the books around Thanksgiving, and I’m already on book 6! These babies are hard to put down!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stephanie,
    I hope I've inspired you to read the books, I promise if you like the show you'll love them! Also, thank you for the compliment on the new format!

    ReplyDelete